Wednesday, November 01, 2006
What happened to Halloween??

I love Halloween. It's so fun to all the children dressed up. The most fun are the children that are about three years old,walking from house to house, wondering what the heck is going on. But just as most things have gone by the way side (isn't that a funny saying?!) Halloween has gone too. Every year we get less and less Trick or Treaters in our neighborhood.

I think it's great they are giving families an alternative -- but I do miss Trick or Treating as it use to be. We had a great time this year. Our neighbor (my husband's other half) Danny, smoked fajita meat on the smoker and it was delicious! We hung out & played with Landry as the kids came and went.


Hope you had a great Halloween!!

I just read a post from a friend that we should be Catholic. Not that I don't have enough religious controversy in my life, I work at a Methodist Church, attend a Baptist church - pretending itself to be non-denominational, and I'm married to a truck driver that needs all the religion I can hand him on a daily basis, so why not be Catholic?!? The reasoning behind this is simple - they have the day after Halloween off - EVERY YEAR! Now there is reasoning. I had been saying we needed to change Halloween where it's like Thanksgiving. It can be the last Saturday of October every year. Why does it have to be October 31st? Thanksgiving is never the same date and we do it just great every year. It's just not fair to any of us, trying to get sugar loaded kids into bed and then up at the crack of dawn the next day. It's certainly not fair to the teachers :( So I say, change it! Next year it won't be dark outside until much later with Day-light-savings time being changed to the first weekend in November. This has good and bad. Some kids don't want to go out until it's dark outside.

So another observation, I was not rude, I handed the candy over, BUT -- I am not kidding you - I had more adults trick or treating at my house than children! And to top it off, they didn't even say "Trick or Treat" ! They just walked up and opened their bag! Several thoughts went through my mind, but I didn't say anything. We even had one parent holding their own bucket, holding their child, who was holding a bucket - ? A little confusing, but isn't Halloween for the children? Can't you just eat your kids candy -- do you really need your own bucket? I only had two out of four kids trick or treating and I have enough candy at my house for the Macy's parade.

Seriously, these people really need to a grip - or at least some manners. I remember teaching my kids to trick or treat, going with them from door to door, "What do you say?" (trick or treat) "What do you say now?" (THANK YOU and Happy Halloween)

So, I guess I was a little put out with some of the Halloween experience this year - but the kids were cute, the company was great and the fajitas were wonderful!


posted at 11:15 AM
0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me
Name:
Katherine

Location:
Grapevine, Texas

Married to a wonderful, hard-working man, raising FOUR beautiful daughters and trying to provide inspiration and direction for my family and myself.

My complete profile

Links
In the Midst of It
First United Methodist Grapevine

Recent Posts
The Big 4 - 0
What Time is it Black Cat?
I love Baseball
High School Football
My One-Second of Fame
140 Years is a LONG Time
Sisters are a funny thing...
Can you Believe it's Been FIVE Years??
Remodeling is NOT a family-affair
Baby Teeth

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
September 2007
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
September 2008
December 2008
February 2009
March 2009
June 2009
July 2009
February 2010
March 2010
June 2010
November 2011
December 2011

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by:



________________
Add this to your site