Wednesday, October 25, 2006
What Time is it Black Cat?
My office is next to the gym inside the church. When it rains (or it's under 40 degrees - yea right) the preschool children play in the gym. Today, they are playing What Time is it Black Cat? which is a variation of What Time is it Mr. Fox? -- Black Cat exchanged for Halloween. So let's just say there is NO insulation in the walls in this church/gym. Every 3 minutes - YES 3 minutes - they yell "What Time is it Black Cat?" at the top of their little lungs. Last year they played Mr. Fox and we emailed each other from our offices around the gym asking Mr. Fox to find his silly watch. I wish you could hear their sweet little voices because they are having so much fun. Thankfully I don't have a major project going on or a deadline staring down at me, so today is a good day for Black Cat - if there is such a thing. I think 3 years old is the most perfect age. You might remind me of this post in two years when Landry is pulling my hair out. 3 year olds are potty-trained, they can tell you what they want or where it hurts, they are eager to learn and explore, they don't talk back, THEY SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT, right!?!? Aww, to be three...

I went to a seminar a few years ago where they had us play children's games like this one. We also had to thank each other and give ourselves credit for the accomplishments we had made. When you are 3 years old, you get so much celebration for the smallest things. I went into the restroom today when a 3 year old happened to be in there with her teacher. She got at least 5 "atta-girls" within a 2 minute period! 5! When is the last time you gave yourself a celebration for an accomplishment? (Not in the bathroom-mind you) Some days just getting all three girls to school on time deserves a big TA-DA -- but I don't give myself one. In the absence of others giving you credit, give yourself the credit. Have a celebration. A pat on the back is not over-rated. We deserve it. And it makes people feel so good to receive recognition. Why is it so difficult to compliment and recognize all the good in the world, but so easy to criticize and berate? Sorry to sound like a self-help book, but jeeze, we live in such a crazy busy world. Getting through each day deserves a TA-DA in itself.

Anyway.... I think I'll go see if Black Cat thinks it's time for lunch :)

posted at 10:47 AM
1 comments



1 Comments:
At 8:24 PM, Blogger The Kilcoynes said...

This is good advice! Thanks! I'll try to congratulate myself for every box I pack!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me
Name:
Katherine

Location:
Grapevine, Texas

Married to a wonderful, hard-working man, raising FOUR beautiful daughters and trying to provide inspiration and direction for my family and myself.

My complete profile

Links
In the Midst of It
First United Methodist Grapevine

Recent Posts
I love Baseball
High School Football
My One-Second of Fame
140 Years is a LONG Time
Sisters are a funny thing...
Can you Believe it's Been FIVE Years??
Remodeling is NOT a family-affair
Baby Teeth
Whew! What a weekend...

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
September 2007
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
September 2008
December 2008
February 2009
March 2009
June 2009
July 2009
February 2010
March 2010
June 2010
November 2011
December 2011

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by:



________________
Add this to your site