Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Sisters are a funny thing...


There is very little "in-between" with sisters. My sister and I are ten years apart and did not grow up very close. So I never *really* experienced the "sister-thing". If you are reading this you know I have four girls. They experience the "sister-thing" every minute of every day. We are blessed with a wonderful house, but sometimes the quarters can get a little close with six people under one roof. Especially five being women (bless my poor-husband's heart). I consistantly ask the good Lord to give me more patience as my girls are ALWAYS argueing about
something. If I ask for something to get put away or picked up off the floor, the answer is always "It isn't mine, it's HERS", "I didn't so it", "It's not my fault", "I did it last time", etc. It's exhausting really.

But something strange happened within the past few days. The two closest in age, Sydney (11) and MacKenzie (9) started
getting along. Yes, it was surprising to me, too. I wasn't alarmed at first, I knew it wouldn't last long. But now it's going on DAY THREE. This morning when there was no fighting, I really started to worry. Mornings aren't usually (shall I say - never) our best time together. I had thought last month as they started school, maybe this would happen since they are going to different schools this year - Sydney started middle school, MacKenzie is still in Elementary and Katy is in High School. Yes, it makes for a interesting car-pool morning. But for over a month of school, the argueing and bickkering was still very much happening. However, for the past few days they have been *playing* together. Playing school, jumping on the trampoline, playing with friends, reading together, playing school -- all TOGETHER. Taking up for each other when one gets in trouble.

It makes for those "parent moments" when you realize how wonderful it is for them to have siblings. You know? I often think about children that are "only children". They get all the attention from BOTH parents all of the time. I do have to admit sometimes I am stretched to my limit trying to share time between my girls. Especially when Bob is working too many hours or when one (or all) of them only need MOM.

But, these moments of mom-hood I wouldn't trade for the world. Some how, some way, God finds a way to stretch me and I hope none of them ever feel neglected or left out. The sharing and even the fighting will help them grow into wonderful women one day.
Yes, there is a reason God gave me all girls and at THIS particular moment, I am loving it.

posted at 1:33 PM
3 comments



3 Comments:
At 5:59 PM, Blogger The Kilcoynes said...

We need to make up for lost time! We need to do "sister things"!

-From your sis

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the look! When I look at you and your girls X 4 (my girls!
5+2)everything falls into perspective.
Love you!
Grandma

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Being the oldest of four girls (all 2 years, 3 months apart), I know exactly what you mean by the "sister-thing". Take heart in this, mama, that while it's hard right now and yes, we did fight about EVERYTHING when we were younger, we are the BEST of friends now. I'll choose a sister over a friend any day!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me
Name:
Katherine

Location:
Grapevine, Texas

Married to a wonderful, hard-working man, raising FOUR beautiful daughters and trying to provide inspiration and direction for my family and myself.

My complete profile

Links
In the Midst of It
First United Methodist Grapevine

Recent Posts
Can you Believe it's Been FIVE Years??
Remodeling is NOT a family-affair
Baby Teeth
Whew! What a weekend...

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
September 2007
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
September 2008
December 2008
February 2009
March 2009
June 2009
July 2009
February 2010
March 2010
June 2010
November 2011
December 2011

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by:



________________
Add this to your site