Thursday, October 19, 2006
High School Football


I never really participated in high school activities when I was younger. I really missed out. I think we always want to make our children's lives better than our own (what kind of parents would we be if we didn't??) I try to be available to my girls 100% of the time - sometimes to a enabling level I suppose. They get really use to mom being just down the street. There have been days I've made numerous runs to different schools with forgotten homework, tennis shoes, lunch money, field trip permission slips, order forms -- the list goes on and on. But I don't mind. #1, because I AM right down the street and #2, if I was a GREAT mom they wouldn't forget those things in the first place, because I would remember before they got out the door. Granted we're all too busy and things will always be forgotten. When they were younger we were WAY to busy participating in too many activities. Those activities have been slimmed down for several years. Now they are replaced with different activities. School itself keeps kids too busy. Projects and homework take up many hours at home each week. Then if they are involved in other activities, say drill team, softball, volleyball and cheerleading for instance, it leaves a lot of room for "forgetfulness". I DO think there is a great need for involvement. Busy kids stay out of trouble. I wasn't much of a busy kid. I went from one activity to another - once it got too difficult I changed -- or just quit. What kind of message does that send? It is difficult to find the happy medium. I think being involved in extra activities keeps their minds active with their activity-- instead of falling into trouble. Also, you have to make good grades to participate - so that helps! Middle school and high school are tough.
We are really enjoying Katy's high school years. She is in drill team (all those years of dance paying off). We go to the games on Friday night -- Friday Night Lights has nothing on us. Landry even enjoys it.

A baby that can take a nap in the middle of a high school football game is a trooper indeed!
This is her in between the bleacher seats - on the ground - sound asleep during the game a couple of weeks ago. When she woke up, she was good-to-go for another four hours! That is a power nap - she gets that from her Daddy :)


It so fun to watch all the kids that Katy has grown up with, some in band, some cheerleading, some quarterback and receiving! Then there are those that I don't see, the ones that aren't participating and I wonder where they are. They are missing out on a terrific part of their growing up. Hopefully, they will be as lucky as me and experience what they missed growing up through their children's eyes when their older. Being a parent has and continues to be a blessing each and every day. Go Mustangs!

posted at 9:07 AM
1 comments



1 Comments:
At 5:13 PM, Blogger The Kilcoynes said...

I love those pictures! Wow! Memories... Friday nights... pizza at our house... football game... playing in the band...

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me
Name:
Katherine

Location:
Grapevine, Texas

Married to a wonderful, hard-working man, raising FOUR beautiful daughters and trying to provide inspiration and direction for my family and myself.

My complete profile

Links
In the Midst of It
First United Methodist Grapevine

Recent Posts
My One-Second of Fame
140 Years is a LONG Time
Sisters are a funny thing...
Can you Believe it's Been FIVE Years??
Remodeling is NOT a family-affair
Baby Teeth
Whew! What a weekend...

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
September 2007
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
September 2008
December 2008
February 2009
March 2009
June 2009
July 2009
February 2010
March 2010
June 2010
November 2011
December 2011

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by:



________________
Add this to your site