Wednesday, April 18, 2007
The 21 Day Challenge
As you know (I'm guessing you know, since you're reading this blog) I work at a United Methodist Church and attend a different church. Most years on Easter and Christmas my family will attend the church I work at, as well as our "home" church. This Easter we attended Fellowship on Good Friday and FUMC Grapevine on Sunday. I was most intrigued by the sermon research I had done for Ken's Easter sermon, so I wanted to 1) hear and see the effect and 2) have my family hear and see Ken's sermon as well. Ken got an idea from a pastor in Kansas and decided it was perfect to try at Easter with our congregation and guests. The Rev. issued a challenge to his congregation to go 21 days without complaining. He based the challenge on Philippians 2:14, “Do everything without complaining or arguing….” On Easter Sunday, we gave away close to 3000 orange wrist bands and he instructed us to move the band to the other wrist each time we caught ourselves complaining. Every time you complain, the 21 days starts over. The idea is that a new habit is formed in 21 days. I may never know.


So this idea has really taken off, you cannot imagine the stories and emails we have received in the last week. People (myself included) are really amazed at how much they complain. At first I had faith that I could accomplish this task. After all, I am the cheerleader (no pun intended toward Sydney) for our family. I am the one always saying "It will be OK", "Look at the bright side" ETC.ETC.ETC.

After two weeks, it's not looking so good. I am still on day one. In my defense here are some things to look at...

1) It is humanly impossible for a mother to not complain. Have you seen my kids rooms? Asked them to help with the baby? The dishes? The laundry? Their homework?
2) It is impossible to watch girls play softball without complaining. If it is not the umpire making a bone-head call, it is the coach not paying attention or forgetting how to pitch.
3) It is physically impossible to drive without complaining. I've heard this concept is worse in Europe. God bless them.
4) I have a 15 month old baby that does not sleep through the night and a 45 year old husband that can sleep through a train crashing into our house. Enough said.
5) I have four girls.
6) I started that last one and was going to list all their activities, but really I can just stop there.
7) We live in Texas, with Texas weather... if we can't complain about the weather, what do we say to each other?

So for now, our entire staff does not complain, but they look as though they are going to rip someones head off at the drop of a pin. Keeping all the complaining inside, can really mess you up!

If nothing else, I never realized how much I complain. My entire family doesn't have their wrist bands on anymore, they have given up. Bob never put his on.

So... I think about my words more carefully now. I don't think I'll ever make 21 days, but I'm still trying. Want to join me at Day One?

Labels:


posted at 10:14 AM
1 comments



1 Comments:
At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still on day one too. The cat ate my wrist band, but I'm not complaining. Got the car out of the shop for $79. instead of $189. if I don't take it back to them...it won't start today. Good news. The rebuilt transmission went out on the van and it's back in the shop, but it was actually still under their guarantee. HooRay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me
Name:
Katherine

Location:
Grapevine, Texas

Married to a wonderful, hard-working man, raising FOUR beautiful daughters and trying to provide inspiration and direction for my family and myself.

My complete profile

Links
In the Midst of It
First United Methodist Grapevine

Recent Posts
Tweenie birthday parties and SPRING!
Makeover Hell & Europe (?)
Baby babbles
Rah, Rah, Rah
My pretty little princess niece...
Why do tragedies happen to teenagers??
Super Bowl commercials...
LOTS of snow
Vacation... Here we come...
2007 are you kidding me???

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
September 2007
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
September 2008
December 2008
February 2009
March 2009
June 2009
July 2009
February 2010
March 2010
June 2010
November 2011
December 2011

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by:



________________
Add this to your site